Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What's in a Name?


Choosing a name for a baby is much different then naming a pet!  When we named Calli (our dog) we named her after Coach Calipari of Kentucky.  I was not going to name our child after a Kentucky or Syracuse player so I bought a baby book and looked at several hundred different names.  After going through the entire book I only had a handful of names written down.


old picture of us before we got married in 2011

Different options for Baby Woos:

The first decision to make was should we make Baby Woos a third.  Donnie is a junior so we needed to make the decision if we wanted to continue the name Donald.  After much discussion (and me not liking the nickname Trip (for third) or DWIII) we decided not to name Baby Woos a third.

Next we had to figure out some "Manly" names.  Donnie wanted to name our son a manly name so he suggested Frank...but I quickly vetoed that name.  Nothing against any Franks in the world but I was not going to name our son Frank.

I suggested Grayson, Luke, and Dylan as first names.  Donnie quickly vetoed Grayson. But he really liked the name Dylan.  For a month now we have been calling Baby Woos Dylan and that is the name that is sticking.  (Now I could change my mind 100 times but when Donnie makes a decision he doesn't change his mind.)   The only way we will change Dylan's name is for some reason the doctor was wrong and a baby girl surprises us. 

Dylan: "son of the sea"

Now we had to figure out a middle name for Dylan.  My suggestions were Michael (after my father), Ray, Quinn, and Scott.  In the end we narrowed our middle name selection down to Ray and Scott.  We almost went with Scott but decided on the middle name of Ray.  Ray is Donnie's middle name and also my mom's middle name so Baby Woos will continue on a family name. 

Ray: "protecting hands"

So there you have it Baby Woos' name is going to be Dylan Ray Woosley.  I love the meanings of both Dylan and Ray and am very proud of our son's name.  Choosing a name was easier then I thought because we were both in love with the name Dylan so we didn't have to convince each other to choose that name and Ray is a family name.  Although our son will not have the same name as his father, they will have the same initials: D.R.W.


One strange thing that I realized when trying to pick a name is that I gravitate towards names that start with D or C.  Donnie and Cassie;  Dallas and Calli (our dogs); now Dylan and (potential girls name Caitlin if we have a baby girl in the future). 


Do you know what your name means?

Cassandra: she who entangles men
Donald: great chief 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, now u have no more surprises! Unless u two change yr minds. It. Happens:)

    ReplyDelete