Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Mei Fun- Recipe

While we were on our cruise I ate basically the same thing for lunch everyday.  It was a Thai/Chinese station where you would pick between mei fun or flat noodles, your veggies and then your protein and sauce and the chefs would cook it right in front of you.  The veggies included bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, carrots, onions, peppers, corn, and fresh bean sprouts.  I choose the szechan sauce every day, which is a spicy sauce made from garlic and chilies.  The protein switched between chicken, shrimp, beef, squid, and pork.
Mei Fun with Squid

So when we arrived home I had to pick up a bag of mei fun and make this at home. 

Mei Fun is a thin rice noodle commonly used in Asian food.  Mei Fun noodles are delicious and very light tasting.  I actually prefer these noodles over regular pasta noodles made with wheat.  In addition, although rice noodles have the same calories as wheat noodles they are more dense so you tend to eat less during a single serving.  Additional benefits include (1) they are gluten free; and (2) vegan so they fit into multiple diets.
  

So this is what I came up with at home.

Mei Fun with Crab in a Thai Peanut & Sriracha Sauce:
(I know the package say maifun but I believe it is the same as meifun since they are both rice noodles.  I think, with my limited knowledge, that maifun noodles can also be made with other ingredients where mei fun is just rice noodles.  If you know differently, please correct me.)

I have actually made this dish a couple times since I have gotten home and just use whatever vegetables that I have in the fridge or feel like using at that particular time.  I also added more sriracha to the sauce and some additional cayenne pepper and garlic.  Plus cilantro is a must!


The mai fun noodles are super easy to make.  Boil water, remove from heat, and let sit in hot water for 10 minutes.  Stir fry the veggies with some extra virgin olive oil, then add vegetable broth, and your sauce and you are done.  After the noodles are cooked I add to the veggie mixture to make sure the sauce gets well coated on the noodles.


Baby woos likes spicy food and tends to kick around more after I eat spicy food :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment