Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Beach & Water Retention


Beach Day at Folly



What a beautiful day to go to the beach.  Finally I think that the warm weather is here to stay in Charleston.  Although the ocean is still freezing we had a very relaxing time out on Folly Beach.  I am looking forward to the water warming up so I can start swimming and floating on my stomach. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it is summer time and I'm in my third trimester another thing I need to start worrying about is water retention.  I have noticed some swelling in my legs and hopefully I won't swell too much anywhere else.

Why women swell and retain water during pregnancy:

Swelling is basically a result of compromised circulation. Your enlarged uterus places pressure on the blood vessels in your pelvis and legs. That pressure slows your circulation down. That compromised circulation causes blood to pool and push fluid into your tissue, hence swelling.  Swelling from water retention can contribute up to 25% of the weight gain during pregnancy.

What increase water retention:

  • Hot or humid conditions which can contribute to water retention. 
  • Not drinking enough water, this can trigger the body to retain fluid.
  • Standing for long periods of time, this can cause pooling of your blood and push fluid into the tissue that results in swelling.
  • Over consumption of diuretic foods like caffeine.
  • High salt intake from processed foods during the day will cause retention of water.
How to prevent or minimize water retention:
  • Exercising on a regular, if not daily, basis.
  • Don't stay standing for extended periods of time.
  • When you are resting, you should always lay on your sides, left better than right. This may minimize swelling.
  • Minimize salt intake and drink plenty of water.

My mom and sister left this morning so now I get to break down the guestroom and start creating the nursery :)  I hope you have a great Sunday!

Calli wanted to smile for the camera

No comments:

Post a Comment