Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Weight Gain During Pregnancy

How much is too much?

Lately I am feeling very large and it doesn't help being asked if I am having twins so it got me to thinking how much weight should I be gaining.  Pre-pregnancy I would try to limit my number of carbs especially at night and I ate usually between 1200 and 1500 calories a day.  I was pretty good at keeping track of the food I ate through the help of having meal plans through www.fitwomensweekly.com, and by using a calorie tracker at www.myfitnesspal.com.  But once I found out I was pregnant I allowed myself to eat ice-cream (for the calicium), oreos (just because), and I have been eatting way more carbs.  In addition, once people know that your pregnant they always say you're eatting for two so you must have this or that.  But realistically eatting for two only means an extra 300 calories a day. 


 So far I am 18 weeks pregnant and have gained a total of 10 pounds.  The total amount of weight that I am "suppose" to gain during pregnancy is between 25 and 35 pounds according to a tracker at babycenter.com. To break it down even futher they suggest gaining 1-5 pounds the first trimester and about 1 pound per week the rest of your pregnancy.   To weigh 175 on a scale is a VERY VERY scary thought!!

Right now it looks like I am right on track to gain the 35 pounds.  WOW!  My biggest fear is that at the end of this and after Baby Woos is born I have to work my butt off to get to my pre-pregnancy weight.  After my wedding I gained weight... and it was not pretty.  It took my 5 months of kicking my butt at boot-camp class to get to my pre-wedding weight.  I am not one for the scale and I like to judge myself how my clothes fit but sometimes it is just easier to talk numbers.




Must stay on track...


I know that on the days that I actually use my fitness pal to track my calories I stay around 1500 calories... it is the days where I have pizza that I avoid tracking calories at all costs.  I also know that I should be more conscious of my calories throughout the rest of my pregnancy and make sure that I am eatting clean...no more oreos or snacking on saltines with cream cheese and sriracha sauce. Sometimes it is hard when we are out I justify to myself that I can eat more because I am not consuming the amount of calories through alcohol that I normally would.  I am not going "diet" but I am going to start eatting the way I did pre-pregnancy...and resist the snacking unless I am snacking on fruit.

I don't mean to vent about weight gain but when you work your butt off to stay in shape it is extremely hard to have your body change sooo drastically in a short period of time.  Hopefully for the rest of my pregnancy I will just gain belly weight and the extra ice-cream won't go straight to my ass.  I can say that working out with this extra weight is much harder- especially when I do push-ups so at least my arms are getting a better workout :)



www.babycenter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment