Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chicken Picatta with Lemon Basil Pasta

Last night was a great night and it felt like Christmas because our patio furniture was delivered, along with some maternity clothes that I ordered, and I had a lot of fun it the kitchen.  So today I thought I would share the recipe with you.  I am really looking forward to showing you how much my bump has grown in one week in tomorrow's post. 

Having Fun in the Kitchen:
A few months ago, my husband bought me an herb grower and one of the herbs is a lemon basil.  It tastes like basil and lemon in one and is delicious so it inspired me to make a Lemon Basil Pasta with Chicken Picatta.

lemon basil is largest herb

[Sidenote:  I can't wait to start trying to grow a lemon tree, tomatoes, cucumbers and cilantro.  Hopefully I will be able to replant these herbs and they will continue to grow... I've always wanted my own garden.]

 Lemon Basil Pasta:

                                                        Ingredients For Pasta:
overflowing 3/4 cup of flour
1 large egg
1/4 lemon (squeeze in juice)
lemon basil
dried basil and parsely






Step 1: To make the pasta it is simple. Add all ingredients and kneed the dough for about 10 minutes.  Refrigerate in a paper towel for about 30 minutes before rolling out.  If pasta too wet add a little more flour.  The amount above makes enough pasta for 2 people (with a good serving).


Step 2: Roll the pasta enough so it will go through the pasta machine.  I like to split my dough into two balls to start with.  When using the pasta machine start with the thickest setting (mine is number 8) and then work your way to the smaller setting (go to number 2). 


Roll the dough
Work to a #2 setting so pasta is thin


Start on setting Eight

Step 3:  After the pasta is thin then switch gears and make into pasta.  Tonight I used the fettuccine setting.  Let the pasta dry for 5-10 minutes.  Boil for 2 minutes and the pasta is cooked.  YUM.





Chicken Picatta with Artichokes

Now time to make the Chicken Picatta.  Again- very simple!!! 

Ingredients for Chicken Picatta: 
-thin sliced chicken breast
-pepper, basil, lemon, garlic powder
-capers, artichokes, garlic
-flour
-olive oil and white wine (or chicken broth)




1. First, I like to use thin sliced chicken breasts.  Pound out the chicken breast so it is nice and thin.  Season with basil, garlic, and fresh ground pepper.  Then dredge the chicken in flour.  In another dish combine capers, artichokes, and three cloves garlic. 


2. In a pan heat up extra virgin olive oil.  Add the chicken and cook through.  Add the caper mixture to the pan and let the garlic get a toasted brown color.  Then squeeze in the rest of the lemon and make sure that you don't get any seeds in the pan.

3.  Once the chicken and caper mixture is cooked add white wine (I used Pinot Gregio) to pan and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.  Once simmered then you are done.  I like to garnish with a little Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and parsley.


Chicken Picatta with Lemon Basil Pasta



This dish was so tasty and easy to make.  The most time consuming part is making the pasta but its also the fun part.  You can also go with store bought pasta but the lemon basil flavoring with the chicken picatta makes the dish to die for. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, homemade pasta! Looks delicious, very impressed. So when ya going to have us over!? Jk.

    ReplyDelete