Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Baby Questions

I know that I will learn as I go but I have a few questions... and everywhere I look I see a different answer.  I love the internet to research things but sometimes it can be overwhelming.  I also have asked my mom friends for their opinions as well. 

Does an infant carseat face backwards in the car?

Car seats for young babies should be installed in the rear-facing position in the center of the rear seat (or the center seat of a van or station wagon with more than one backseat). http://www.babycenter.com/0_installing-a-car-seat_9458.bc  I can understand why they should be rear-facing but I also find it strange that you won't be able to see your child's face.  Also- it makes more sense (to me) to put the car seat behind the drivers seat so it will be easier to get him in and out. 

Here is an article with 8 common mistakes installing a carseat: http://www.parents.com/baby/safety/car/baby-car-seat-safety-check-avoid-common-mistakes/
In the next couple of weeks we are going to attempt to install our carseat properly and then take it to get inspected to make sure.

Do I have to steralize the bottle before every use?

This is where I think the baby marketing industy is trying to sell another product.  I have spoken to many moms where they say the steralized their bottle before using it for the first time and then either used the dishwasher or just warm water and soap. 

How warm does the milk need to be if I use a bottle?

They sell a bottle warmer and I have registered for one but is it another product just to sell?  I think the milk should be room temperature.  I know you aren't suppose to microwave milk because it can lead to hot-spots in the bottle.  I will hopefully be breastfeeding exclusivly for the first month so I'm sure I will learn as I go.

While I am breastfeeding do I also have to pump?

The answer I have gotten is yes.  It is nice to have a stash of milk in the freezer for the nights if you want to have some libations and also for when I go back to work.   Plus, if some milk is stored up then Donnie can take care of a night feeding.  From what I have read, it is generally accepted that you can refrigerate breast milk for three to five days and freeze it for three to six months.   I have also been told (and read articles) to breastfeed without bottle at least for the first month and then introduce the bottle a few weeks before I have to go back to work.

Do you need to block off half the crib when you put baby to sleep (like you do when you crate animals)?

Still don't know this answer.  They sell all these products now so your baby sleeps on an incline, but in the hospital your baby sleeps on his back.  I have read that babies can't roll over so I'm assuming that they don't need a specific area blocked off.  I guess with all the new prodcuts it just makes me think that I need something else.
Do I need to swaddle Baby Woos every time he sleeps?

Hmm- I think the answer is yes because he will need a blanket and the swaddle acts as his blanket. 


Okay- well these have been the questions on my mind.  I know I may be worrying about nothing and I will learn as Baby Woos learns but some of the very basic items I want to know.  Now I am off to work.  Have a great Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment