Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Nesting?

Nesting isn't just an excuse to have your husband help you with all house projects... it is a primal instinct.

According to parentingweekly.com the "nesting" instinct is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.  Females of the animal kingdom are all equipped with this same need. It is a primal instinct. Just as you see birds making their nests, mothers-to-be do exactly the same thing. The act of nesting puts you in control and gives a sense of accomplishment toward birth.

The article goes onto read that some women will clean the house with a tooth brush but I think that this is when someone takes "nesting" too far and is actually going crazy.  I know that lately I have been doing a lot of deep cleaning and finishing projects but these items have always been on my to do list.  I think everyone needs to "nest" once a year and throw out clutter and finish those to-do projects that you never end up getting around to.

So far I have deep cleaned the kitchen, uncluttered every "junk" drawer, taken a few bags and boxes of clothes/stuff to Good-Will, and we are completing projects.  Our first big project was the patio. 

We also went ahead and installed the coat rack shelf this past weekend.  I still need to buy a basket for it and dress it up a little but I am super excited that the dining room table will no longer be the place we throw our jackets, purses, hats, etc.



I put up new hooks in the guest bath.  (The picture would be much better with towels hanging but its laundry day.)




and now for a New Big Project:  THE NURSERY!  I am so excited to start the nursery.  We bought our nursery furniture in February but it has just been sitting in the garage in the original boxes... I still haven't even looked at it. 

In a couple of weeks we are going to remove the guest bedroom furniture and paint the nursery and start putting everything together.  I think I have decided on our paint colors- grey and blue.  The blue is a very important color.  It can't be too much of a Carolina Blue, I don't want it to be a purple-blue (which some of those colors look like below), and trying to stay away from a pure Kentucky Blue. 

Now which grey and which blue???
I was also looking at more bedding sets and I found another pattern that I really like.  I am not sure if it is over-the-top though.  The reason I was looking at more patterns is because our crib is solid at the bottom so you will not be able to see the bed skirt.  The basic items you will be able to see is the sheet color and the bumper.  The quilt also will not be going in the crib until much later- so it will be folded and thrown on the back of the chair in the nursery.

But tell me what you think of this:  (again- walls would be solid grey-- no bubbles, etc.. with blue trim??)  So what you are really looking at is the crib blanket and the bumper.

lambs and ivy bubbles and squirt bedding
Isn't the bumper super cute?  Or is my pregnancy brain going crazy?  I know the picture of the whole nursery is completely too much but subtract all the decor and just look at the quilt and bumper.  When my sister and mom are in town we may get lucky and find something else because I really can't decide.

This is a picture of our crib again:Savanna Tori 3-pc. Baby Furniture Set - Espresso












Picking out the nursery bedding has been the hardest thing for me to do... and really it should be pretty simple since the sheets are going to be washed frequently and if I don't like the bedding in a year or so I can always buy new bedding or rotate the bedding.  Thinking back to planning our wedding the hardest things for me to pick out were always the smallest items- and picking out my dress was easy- the first dress!  (Although I did try on many dresses- I stuck to my very first dress.)

I'm super excited to start our new big project this month.  While we are doing the nursery we will simultaneously be creating a new guest room and turning the garage into an office.  Can you say work? 

For the new guest room I am thinking of painting the room a green color:

The room also has a built in desk with multiple shelves that would look wonderful re-painted.  Last night I couldn't sleep so I was playing on pintrest and have a ton of ideas how to paint and re-make a guest room.  I will show you my ideas in a later post.


So are all these projects "Nesting" or just simply a to-do list that is getting completed?

1 comment:

  1. Cute bedding - Relax - I 'll surely help on my arrival in one week!!!

    ReplyDelete