Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Running

Before I talk about me I want to show some cute pictures of Baby Woos.


 
Now onto my venting:

Wow-- am I sore.  My shins are killing me and my quads and butt are on fire.  I guess that is what you get when you don't train and you are out of shape.  Yesterday I ran in my first 5K of the year.  The last time that I ran 3 plus miles was December 2012 and I ran a 5K with a time of 28:30ish.  (I was also pregnant at this time.)  Fast forward ten months and I ran my 5K in 35 minutes. 

So what did I learn?  Last year, although I never ran on my own, I was in shape from boot camp.  Now I knew that I was in good shape then but I didn't realize how good of shape until this run.  This run was hard and I had to walk at points but it wasn't the run that made me feel so out of shape- it is the day after where I am in pain.  At the end of October last year my friend asked me to run a 10K with her and I agreed- why not?  Although I ran 6.2 miles in just over an hour with no training my body didn't hurt the next day. 

While I was pregnant I was taking boot camp classes up until my 7 month and I was kicking butt in class.  Although I had to modify some moves I was for the most part doing the same exercises.  Last month when I was doing my boot camp class again I not only felt out of shape but I felt like I had to modify more exercises now.  Before (while pregnant) I could do a full push-up; after pregnancy I have to do a push-up on my knees.  Before (while 6 months pregnant) I could hold a plank for 3 minutes; after pregnancy 20 seconds is a challenge.
 

Picture: me last week of bootcamp while pregnant

What to do?  The month of September I went back to my bootcamp class and although I was happy when I completed a class I really wasn't having that much fun in class.  (Sorry Kindal).  I felt defeated after every class because I couldn't do the simple exercises.  I felt discouraged because the classes were HARD.  I felt discouraged because I kept comparing myself to what I could do before.  Sit-ups have never been an exercise that I couldn't do... but the first day back to class after I did 15 full sit-ups (which I feel took forever) I was out of breath.

I stopped going to class because I started work last week and wanted to get used to my new schedule... but I also stopped going because I wasn't enjoying it.  I didn't want to start disliking the class because I know I wanted to go back at some point because before I loved it. 


Above is picture week before Baby Woos was born.

So today as I have been walking around my house in pain it makes me realize that I have a long road ahead of me but it is not going to get easier unless I start exercising on a regular basis.  Carrying my 16.2 pound bowling ball is helping my arms stay in shape, and taking our long walks is helping too but I need more.  I am only 5 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight but I still have a long way to go.  Muscles really does weigh more then fat.



My goal:  Hopefully start going to bootcamp again.  I need to figure out a way to fit it into my schedule without being a walking zombie for lack of sleep.  Since I'm breastfeeding I can't just wake up 10 minutes before class- I have to pump- and then when I get home I still need to make sure I have enough time to feed, shower, and pump again before I go to work.  I may think of doing night classes instead?? 

I really don't know what I'm going to do yet I just know I want to get my ass back into shape and thinking and talking about it isn't going to do it.  I could always bring out my Jillian Michaels dvd's again but it really isn't the same as going to class. 


But that's enough about my rant on exercising.  I'm happy to say that I am in my pre-pregnancy clothes except for my shorts and some tops because my ta tas are bigger then ever.  ...so let the road to building stronger leaner muscles begin  :)

1 comment:

  1. ITS ONLY been 3 MONTHS!! Do not discourage yourself. This to will pass:)

    ReplyDelete