Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Scary Truth of the Cosmetic Industry

I decided that with my renewed passion for a healthier lifestyle and new knowledge about the cosmetic industry that I would re-start my blog.  I'll be blogging about skincare products, new recipes, my children, and the exciting adventures of our family of four. 

(update: Nov 2016 the United States has banned now 30 ingredients)
 

For my first blog back I wanted to introduce you to the Scary Truth of the Cosmetic Industry.  I was clueless about the products I was applying on my children and on myself.  I thought if the products are marketed for children then they must be safe- sounds logical but I was so wrong!

Great article: childhood cancer and chemical exposure

I recently learned that the United States has not changed the law in the cosmetic industry since 1938.  Since 1938 we have introduced nearly 80,000 chemicals that have not been tested for safety nor do they have to past a test to be used in products.  Of these 80,000 chemicals there are about 10,000 chemicals commonly found in personal care products- only 10% of those chemicals have safety data. Some of these new chemicals that have been introduced are known to cause cancer in testings, however the United States still allows companies to use these chemicals.  Big corporations and companies who use these toxins do NOT want regulation in the cosmetic industry because they would have to change their formulas and it may or may not be as effective.  Certain toxic chemicals do produce short-term results but it is the long-term results that are scary!

This is an actual warning on this companies website for their products.

For California customers:
Image of Prop 65 warning symbol WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Benzophenone, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. Click here for information about the FDA's position on Benzophenone.

For more information on Benzopheonone read this: http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/benzophenone/

Would you want to apply a toxic chemical to your skin that it known to cause cancer?  If you do get diagnosed with cancer years down the road wouldn't you be kicking yourself in the butt for not using safer ingredients.  I don't know about you but I would want to find a safer product to use.

Check out our beloved Bath and Body Works lotion:
 
I used to apply bath and body works lotion to my entire body every single day since I was a freshman in high school.  (I graduated in 1999).  Now that I know they put so many harmful toxins in their products I can't use them anymore.  My friend has a friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer at such a young age and the doctor says it was most likely due to estrogen dominance.  This is scary stuff- toxins do cause cancer!   Most people apply 12-20 products on their bodies and faces and it is the repeat exposure to the same chemicals being applied where we see an increase in diseases.
 
 





Another article linking toxins to breast cancer:  http://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2015/11/common-preservative-in-personal-care-products-linked-breast-cancer


So now that I've scared you- How can you be sure to use safer ingredients on yourself and on your children? CHOOSE BEAUTYCOUNTER.


 

Check out this company: http://www.beautycounter.com/cassandrawoosley?goto=kids.html


Beautycounter is an amazing B Corporation that is only 4 years old.  While the United States only bans 30 harmful toxins from products Beautycounter has created a Neverlist of 1,500 ingredients to create a safer standard in the cosmetic industry. (The European Union bans 1400 ingredients.)  They are completely transparent in ALL the ingredients that they use in every single product.


Beautycounter's mission is to get safe products into the hands of everyone.  To that end, they have developed two beautiful skincare lines (Nourishing and Rejuvenating), their luxurious body collection, a kids line and a baby line, spa-grade skin treatments, complete sun-protection for the whole family, and a full line of high-performing, gorgeous color cosmetics created to enhance every woman's natural beauty.
 
 
For our children's sake look as these ingredients- you can read them and understand what they are.  These are just two examples why you should READ the ingredient lists before you buy a product.
 






Whoa- Information Overload!  What products do you want to learn more about?  What issues in the cosmetic industry do you want to know more about?


I hope you enjoyed this blog if you want to check out products go here: http://www.beautycounter.com/cassandrawoosley

Please email me with any questions: cassleigh@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment